Governor Ron DeSantis declared Friday, February 1, 2019 as "Crossing Guard Appreciation Day" in Florida.
This morning JSO officers recognized Bertha Anderson for her 25-years of dedicated service to the community as a School Crossing Guard.
Anderson is currently assigned to work at the intersection of Wilson Boulevard and Aldington Drive where she assists children in traveling to and from school safely.
Crossing Guards are part-time employees who work two hours each day (one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon) and are assigned to roadways near elementary schools throughout the city.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office currently has 30 Crossing Guards openings in Jacksonville. To apply please call JSO's Community Engagement Office at 904.630.2160 or email JSOCrossing.Guards@jaxsheriff.org.
Current vacancies as of Friday, February 1, 2019:
- Brookview Elementary (in front of school)
- Don Brewer Elementary (in front of school)
- Englewood Elementary (in front of school)
- Greenland Pines Elementary (in front of school)
- Whitehouse Elementary (in front of school)
- Ave B / 45th Street
- Bartram Springs Parkway / Ginnie Springs Road
- Baymeadows Road / Point Meadows
- Beach Boulevard / Dean Road
- Beaver Street / Jackson Avenue
- Chaffee Road / Beaver Street
- Chaffee Road / Sam Caruso Way
- De Paul Drive / Briarcliff Road E.
- Dunn Avenue / Lem Turner Road
- Hodges Boulevard / Chets Creek Boulevard
- Jammes Road / Morse Avenue
- Kernan Boulevard / Alden Road
- Lane Avenue / San Juan Avenue
- Merrill Road / Rogero Road
- Old Kings Road / Toledo Road
- Old Middleburg Road N. / Fouraker Road
- Ramona Boulevard / Lane Avenue
- Rathborne Drive / Old Kings Road S.
- Shangri La Drive / A1A
- Skycrest Drive / Anders Boulevard
- Spring Park Road / San Diego Road
- St. Augustine Road / Sessions Lane
- Terry Parker Drive / Sprinkle Drive
- Theresa Drive / St. Johns Bluff Road
- US-1 / Richardson Road