The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Auxiliary Officer Program is comprised of community members who volunteer their time to fulfill many of the roles handled by full-time sworn police officers.
Auxiliary Officers receive similar training as full-time officers and work alongside them in every aspect of the Sheriff’s Office operations. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office continuously seeks community members who meet high standards necessary to become a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Auxiliary Officer.
Auxiliary Officers of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office are generally not content to play a passive role in life. Instead, they continue to devote their time and talents to the City of Jacksonville. They “get involved” for the betterment of their community while maintaining a membership with one of the most respected law enforcement agencies in the country.
Are you interested in joining our team? Please click here to apply!
Additional Information: Benefits
- Be at least 21-years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in your state of residence
- Applicants must have a High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Be in good physical condition.
- Must be able to run a mile in under 12 minutes.
- Be of good moral character
- Tattoos are NOT permitted on the face or neck (if visible while wearing a collared shirt).
- One visible tattoo on each hand, not to exceed one inch in measurement in all directions is permitted.
- One ring band tattoo is permitted on each hand.
- Tattoos behind the ear cannot exceed one inch in measurement in all directions and cannot extend forward of the ear lobe.
- Any visible tattoo (e.g., on the hand, behind the ear) will not be permitted if deemed unacceptable.
- NOT HAVE received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces
- NOT HAVE been convicted of any felony
- NOT HAVE been convicted of a misdemeanor involving false statement, perjury or domestic violence
- IN ADDITION, the following areas may result in applicants being suspended from the hiring process: credit history including bankruptcy and collections; past drug use; inappropriate social media; driving history, work history; criminal activity and associations with known criminals; and inappropriate tattoos.
Applicants must have Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test for Law Enforcement (CJBAT). To register and schedule please visit www.pearsonvue.com/fdle
or by calling 1.877.729.0059 (toll free) Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Saturdays, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.; and Sundays 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. CST
Persons to be considered for possible Florida Reserve Police Officer certification and membership in the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Auxiliary Reserve Unit should carefully consider the following requirements:
- Must attend the Police Academy four nights a week, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. (times are subject to change) for 17 weeks. (Total of 264 hours)
- Reservists are required to attend a monthly unit meeting after completion of the academy unless excused by the unit commander. A minimum of 10 meetings are held in a calendar year.
- Must accept and perform three assignments per month unless excused for unusual circumstances. These assignments may include, but are not limited to: stakeouts, transportation, traffic and/or crowd control, or an emergency callout. (Total hours are not limited to 24 hours a month)
- Reservists must have a dependable automobile in order to fulfill assignments.
This is a non-paid, volunteer position.
All uniforms and equipment are provided by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
For more information about this volunteer position please email Ray.Walden@jaxsheriff.org.
The Consolidated City of Jacksonville and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office are Equal Opportunity / Equal Access Employers. To read the Mayor's Statement please click here. For more information about Equal Employment Opportunity, visit www.dol.gov/dol/topic/discrimination/ or www.eeoc.gov.